What Customers Are SayingLatest Google Reviews
- 20.1MP 1" Exmor RS BSI CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor & Front-End LSI
- Internal UHD 4K Video & S-Log2 Gamma
- Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* f/1.8-2.8 Lens
The Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VA Digital Camera from Sony improves the existing RX100 V by increasing the buffer size to 233 images, reducing display lag time in the electronic viewfinder, and adding several small features over other aspects of the camera. With the 20.1MP 1" Exmor RS BSI CMOS sensor, the RX100 VA can output detailed images at sensitivities up to ISO 12800. The Fast Hybrid AF system has 315 focal-plane phase-detection points that cover 65% of the image area of the sensor and can achieve focus in as little as 0.05 seconds. That autofocus system is also capable of tracking subjects across the frame, even while shooting at high speeds. Sony's BIONZ X processor enables continuous shooting up to 24 fps with the aforementioned buffer size of 233 JPEG images and improved High Frame Rate recording times.
Like the RX100 V, the RX100 VA can shoot HD video at 960 fps in High Frame Rate Mode and UHD 4K video at 30/24 fps. But a new feature of the RX100 VA is dual video recording, where the camera simultaneously records two video files at once. Also carried over from the RX100 V is Gamma Display Assist, which provides a more contrasty image while using a flat S-Log2 gamma, and the Photo Capture mode for pulling 8.29MP stills from your movies.
The RX100 VA keeps the same physical design as the RX100 V to keep compatibility with all accessories. A Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens still graces the front of the camera with an equivalent zoom range of 24-70mm and a fast f/1.8-2.8 maximum aperture that provides incredible flexibility in a wide range of shooting scenarios. A pop-up 0.39" 2.36m-dot OLED Tru-Finder EVF and 3.0" 1.23m-dot tilting LCD give you crystal clear previews of what you're shooting. The RX100 VA also keeps the same lens control ring, built-in ND filter, and customizable buttons as its predecessor. It also has Wi-Fi and NFC capabilities for connecting to a smartphone.
20.1MP 1" Exmor RS CMOS Sensor & BIONZ X Image Processor
This sensor is paired with the BIONZ X image processor and front-end LSI that improves the speed and throughput of the entire imaging system, enabling continuous shooting with AF/AE at up to 24 fps. An expanded buffer makes continuous shooting possible for longer bursts, up to 233 JPEGs. The front-end LSI is also able to improve the overall quality of the images, especially at higher sensitivities.
Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Lens
Two aspherical lens elements are incorporated into the lens design, minimizing chromatic aberrations and ensuring clear images. Zeiss' premium multi-layered T* coating also reduces ghosts and flare caused by light reflecting.
Fast Hybrid AF System with 315 Phase-Detection Points
UHD 4K Video Recording
Picture profiles and image controls are also available, including the S-Log2 gamma that can help expand the dynamic range by recording a flat image. Gamma Display Assist helps users view a more natural image when shooting with S-Log2. Other options such as timecode, zebras, peaking, and more are present for making shooting and editing easier. When recording internally, users will record video with a 4:2:0 sampling at 8-bit, but the RX100 VA can output via HDMI to an external recorder. This allows users to capture 4:2:2 uncompressed video and save in an edit-ready format.
The camera also has a Photo Capture function, which allows shooters to quickly save an 8.29MP still from their UHD 4K movies. Additionally, the camera is NTSC/PAL switchable, making it usable around the world.
High Frame Rate and Slow Motion Shooting
Body Design and Wi-Fi Connectivity
- Pop-up 0.39" XGA OLED electronic viewfinder offers a resolution of 2.36m dots for crisp, clear imagery. The EVF also uses a Zeiss T* coating to ensure clarity from corner to corner.
- The rear 3.0" Xtra Fine LCD screen can tilt upwards 180° and downwards 45° for shooting at different angles or for composing the perfect selfie. The screen sports a resolution of about 1.23m dots and WhiteMagic technology has been applied to the LCD's design to increase effective brightness for easier viewing in bright lighting.
- A manual control ring surrounds the lens and features a smooth, click-less design for quick and quiet changing of settings. The ring can be assigned to control a variety of features, at different values, such as zoom, aperture, and Picture Effects.
- Custom button and other programmable buttons can be set to one of over 40 functions for quick access to commonly used settings.
- A built-in 3-stop neutral density (ND) filter is available to enable working in bright light with wider aperture settings.
- Pop-up flash will help illuminate subjects in dimly-lit scenes.
- A redesigned menu makes flipping through settings easier.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables instant transferring of imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices, with no complex set-up required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and, using Smart Remote Control, remotely control the camera's shutter release. Additionally, the RX100 VA can now connect to a smartphone using a QR code for faster access.
Other Camera Features
- Anti-Distortion electronic shutter can enable completely silent shooting as well as the ability to work at shutter speeds as fast as 1/32000 second. This shutter also keeps rolling shutter effects to an absolute minimum and enables photographers to work in bright light with wider apertures.
- Step Zoom lets you quickly change between five common focal lengths (24, 28, 35, 50, or 70mm) by rotating the control ring.
- Clear Image Zoom allows users to enlarge the center of the still or movie frame being shot by up to 5.8x equivalent when using optical zoom as well.
- Eye AF in AF-C mode will lock on and tack a subject's eye, even as the face moves.
- Users can set a minimum shutter speed when using ISO AUTO to help minimize shutter blur.
- Creative Style settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, and Sepia (all with +/- 3 step contrast, saturation, and sharpness adjustment).
- Picture Effect modes: Posterization (Color, B&W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-Key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-Tone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration.
- Adjustable Picture Profile parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-2, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode (Movie, Still, Cinema, Pro, ITU709 Matrix, White & Black, S-Gamut), Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, and Reset.
We Also Recommend
Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens