- Limited to 125 Sets Worldwide
- Key Features
- 24MP Full-Frame B&W CMOS Sensor
- No Color Array or Low Pass Filter
- Leica Maestro Image Processor
- Rangefinder with Image Field Selector
- 0.68x Optical Viewfinder Magnification
- 3.0" 921.6k-Dot LCD with Sapphire Glass
- Full HD 1080p Video at 24/25 fps
- ISO 320-25000, 3 fps with 2GB Buffer
- Magnesium-Alloy Body Construction
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Download
Consistent with Leica's passion for classic designs mixed with contemporary functionality, the M Monochrom Digital Rangefinder Camera is a unique digital camera dedicated to producing black and white imagery. Lacking a color filter array, as well as an optical low pass filter, the M Monochrom's full-frame 24MP CMOS sensor records solely in luminance values, forgoing the need for color interpolation, in order to gain the utmost in sharpness, clarity, and resolution. Complementing the imaging capabilities, the Leica Maestro image processor also affords a sensitivity range from ISO 320-25000 as well as a 3 fps shooting rate with a 2GB buffer for recording up to 30 frames in a sequence. Full HD 1080p video recording is also possible in either 24 or 25 fps frame rates. Unique among digital cameras, the Typ 246 maintains Leica's preference for a rangefinder design and incorporates a 0.68x optical viewfinder with split and superimposed manual focusing, automatic parallax correction, and manual image field selection. Conversely, the camera also features a 3.0" 921.6k-dot LCD with sapphire glass covering to maintain the overall durability of the magnesium alloy and brass body.
As with past M-series cameras, the M Monochrom retains the ability to utilize the vast network of M-mount lenses from 16mm to 135mm. When working in live view, and since focusing operation is entirely manual, focus peaking and 10x live view zoom can be utilized to ensure critical focus. An ergonomic body design places all of the necessary camera controls within reach during shooting, including top shutter speed and drive mode dials, as well as rear menu navigation buttons and selection dial located atop the thumb rest.
The DNG files created by the M Monochrom (Typ 246) are not currently compatible with Apple's Photos and Aperture applications in Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.3 and 10.10.4) and should not be imported into your Photos or Aperture libraries.
- MonochromeDistinct from a most digital camera, the M Monochrom (Typ 246) is a high-resolution camera dedicated solely to recording black and white imagery. By omitting a color filter array, as well as an optical low pass filter, this camera records imagery only in luminance values in order to gain higher sharpness, as well as increased clarity, depth, and resolution. Additionally, this design also contributes to reducing noise values when shooting at higher sensitivities, up to ISO 25000.
- 24 MP CMOS Sensor and Maestro Processor
- Featuring a full-frame 24 MP B&W CMOS sensor and Maestro processor, this camera is also characterized by its improved shooting speed and versatility. A continuous shooting rate of 3 fps is possible and a 2GB buffer permits recording up to 30 DNG and/or JPEG files in a sequence with instant review possible.
The sensor and processor combination also affords full HD 1080p video recording, in either 24 or 25 fps frame rates. An on-board monaural microphone can be used for audio recording, in auto, manual, or "Concert" modulation settings, or an optional external stereo microphone can be used when paired with a microphone adapter set.
- Optical Viewfinder and Rangefinder
- The optical viewfinder is a large, bright-line 0.68x-magnification rangefinder with automatic parallax compensation and LED-illuminated frame lines, which are set to match the image sensor size at a focusing distance of 6.6'. On the front of the camera, a viewfinder frame selector can also be used to manually change the apparent image field to help visualize the scene with varying focal lengths.
The rangefinder mechanism displays split or superimposed bright field images within the center of the viewfinder to benefit accurate manual focusing control. The effective rangefinder metering basis is 47.1mm (mechanical metering basis 69.25 mm x viewfinder magnification of 0.68x).
- 3.0" LCD Monitor and Sapphire Crystal Cover
- Complementing the optical viewfinder is a 3.0" 921.6k-dot LCD monitor, which is fitted with a scratch-resistant protective cover made from sapphire crystal glass for added durability. In addition to image review and menu navigation, this monitor also permits live view monitoring with the ability to utilize focus peaking and 10x zoom features to better ensure critical sharpness. Focus peaking highlights bright edges of contrast when they are in sharp focus, while the zoom control allows you to home in on fine details within the scene.
- Body Design
- Reminiscent of classic Leica designs, the M Monochrom features a black chrome-plated metal body design with a magnesium-alloy chassis, brass top and bottom plates, and a synthetic leather wrap. This minimalist and discreet appearance are further maintained by the unobtrusive Leica engraving on the rear of the body, with no front-facing or top plate logos.
Furthermore, the pared-down, ergonomic design allows direct access to necessary camera controls, including top shutter speed and drive mode dials and rear menu navigation controls.
- Other Camera Features
- Designed to accept all M-mount lenses, Leica R-mount lenses are also compatible through the use of an optional R to M adapter.
- A download version of Adobe Lightroom is made available after purchase and is ideally suited to the processing of the M Monochrom's DNG RAW image files.
- An electronic level display can be used to ensure consistently level horizons and plumb verticals.
- After a JPEG is recorded, in-camera toning effects can be applied to imagery to simulate the look of film-based black and white processes.
- Language support: German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, traditional Chinese, simplified Chinese, Russian, and Korean.
- No sales tax for an order shipped out of Connecticut
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.