Nikon's 24-120mm zoom lens is now even smaller than its predecessor, the AF Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D IF, and features an innovative Vibration Reduction (VR) system that allows handheld telephoto zoom shooting even in poorly lit conditions. The VR system minimizes image blur caused by camera shake and offers the equivalent of shooting at a shutter speed 3 stops (8 times) faster.
Covering many commonly used focal lengths in one compact zoom lens, the 24-120mm proves itself to be a unique and popular choice when a variety of subjects may be encountered. Ideal where space and weight are restricted - such as travel photography - the wide zoom range offers the opportunity to capture a variety of subjects both close by and far away, from interiors to portraits.
Note: G-type lenses are fully compatible only with the F5, F100, N80, N75, N65, N55, D1-series, and D100 (or any newer model) cameras.
Note: VR-feature will only work with Nikon's F5, F100, N80, N75, N65, D100 & D1-series (or any newer model) cameras.
Note: When mounted on Nikon digital cameras (Nikon DX format) D2-Series, D1-Series, D100, D70, and D90 digital cameras, the lens' picture angle becomes 61°-13°20' and its 35mm equivalent focal length range is approx. 36-180mm.
1) Vibration Reduction for both the viewfinder image and the image on film. Moderate VR operation is executed to ensure viewing comfort for the viewfinder image.
2) VR for the image on the film only (conserves battery power).
- The optical design incorporates two ED glass elements and two aspherical elements for superior optical performance
- Built-in A/M switch enables instant switching from autofocus to manual focus (Lock mechanism provided)
- Silent Wave Motor for ultra-fast, ultra-quiet AF
- New cosmetic design identical to current AF-S Nikkor lenses
- Filter attachment does not rotate during focusing or zooming.
- The rounded diaphragm (7 blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
Note: AF-S feature is not supported by certain camera models.
Auto Focus - Silent Wave (AF-S) is a type of focusing motor used in many of Nikon¿s AF-Nikkor lenses. The AF-S motor provides faster and quieter focusing. AF-S lenses also have an "A/M" mode selector which allows the user to switch from automatic to manual focus with almost no lag time.
Some older AF cameras are not fully compatible with the AF-S function. With these models, AF-S lenses will have to be focused manually. Incompatible models are: N60, N55, N8008/s, N6006, N5005, N4004 & N2020.