The Heliopan 60mm Cross Screen 6x Filter is a star effect filter providing 6 reflected light points stemming from specular highlights within the image frame. When the filter is rotated in front of the lens, the points shift in direction but always retain their symmetry. This effect is caused by thinly etched lines on one of the planes of the filter and is most prevalent when highlights are photographed against a dark background, such as a streetlight on a dark street.
This Heliopan filter is constructed from Schott glass for increased optical clarity and color fidelity. It features a brass filter ring for durability as well as jamming prevention.
- Cross screen filter providing 6 reflected light points that stem symmetrically from specular highlights within the image frame.
- Reflected points of light change direction when the filter is rotated.
- The star effect is caused by thinly etched lines on the filter surface and does not affect the exposure or coloration of the image.
- The effect is most prevalent when photographing smaller light sources, when working with longer focal lengths, and when using larger apertures.
- Constructed from Schott glass for optical clarity.
- The brass filter ring helps to prevent jamming and provides additional strength.
- Dual threading with 60mm front filter threads permits combining with other filters.